Skip to main content

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it.

I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter.

Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it.
Why?
Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99.

I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more. 

But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun.

A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route.

This happened because of another question from my daughter: "Why do you always run in a circle?”

I had never thought about my running routes that way. So I decided to show her that I could run in a line too. I ran along the river and returned on the same route.

There was no training strategy behind it. I simply wanted to prove a point to my daughter. The running route does not have to be circular. It can also be linear.

And then there was my recent run to Bungamati. I ran towards Karya Binayak and crossed the suspension bridge towards Bungamati. I had never entered Bungamati from that side before. The town was already awake. People were busy with their morning worship. I love the way Newars begin their mornings. They pray and worship at their doorsteps, often in front of a small shrine or a little deity. Sometimes I feel that God does not live far away. God lives in those houses.

I ran through the narrow brick-paved alleys of Bungamati. It was deeply nostalgic. Then I noticed the smell. The wet summer air, the humidity, the limited sunlight reaching the narrow streets, the sweat of farmers, and the grains stored inside the houses created a very familiar smell. It smelled like childhood. I was not just running through Bungamati. I was running through a memory. This is what I have come to love about running. The kilometres keep adding up, but so do the stories.






My running distance has increased over the years, but recently I feel that I have reached a plateau. The numbers are not growing as quickly as they used to. And I am completely fine with that. Growth does not always have to be upward. There is also value in maintaining what you have built. The purpose of my running is not to chase endless improvement—more kilometres, faster times, bigger races, and another target after another.

I am not that ambitious anymore. If I can maintain this healthy habit, keep moving, keep exploring, and keep enjoying the journey, I am more than happy. This is another story I tell myself.

Perhaps running does not always have to be about becoming better than yesterday. It does not have to be. Now, for me, running is for fun and to collect stories.

Stories about culture.
Stories about the small towns around Kathmandu.
Stories about old streets and temples.
Stories about my daughter.
Stories about my health.
Stories about my memories.
And stories about myself.

Some of them are very small. Some are almost abstract. I see something, remember something, connect a few dots, and suddenly there is a story.

These stories have become part of my running.
They motivate me to put on my shoes and go out again.
They make the difficult kilometres feel lighter.
They make me curious about where the road will take me next.
And perhaps that is what keeps me running.
Not just the distance.
Not just the fitness.
But the stories that are waiting to be discovered along the way.

The story of 13.99.
The story of a circular runner trying to run in a straight line.
The story of Bungamati, its morning worship, and its familiar smell.

The story of a body that is no longer chasing endless improvement but is simply grateful to keep moving.
Running gives me these stories, and I keep collecting them.
Some, I tell myself.
Some I tell my daughter.
And some I tell you through this blog.

I will continue to run, my running stories will continue and I will continue telling the stories I find along the way. Keep tuned!

Comments

  1. Good story, 13.99 running in a straight line.
    Keep running, keep making story and keep doing what you love!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

The Flood, Nuwakot, and the Black Swan

I visited Nuwakot just after the flood. The flood site is not an easy place to visit. The mud and debris have completely covered the town. The Bidur town that once stood along the riverbank, with its houses, shops, roads, and familiar settlements, had been devastated by the flood. The settlement had simply disappeared. The Trisuli was still flowing, but it had changed its course. The riverbed has, according to locals, been elevated about 15 to 20 meters from its original position. The number of human fatalities and missing people is unbelievable. The number continues to rise. Locals say it could be around tens of thousands. Perhaps the exact number of people will never be confirmed, as in some villages, all families and neighbours perished in the flash flood. Almost everyone we met had a story. Someone had lost a relative. Someone was still waiting for news. Someone had survived by luck, instinct or an escape within a few seconds. The locals would begin telling us what happened, and su...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...