Meeting Lucy is one of the 'to do' things in Addis Ababa, as strongly suggested by many. So, I planned to meet her. I was excited and I was nervous. What should I wear? Should I take a taxi or walk? I finally decided to walk and planned a rendezvous on a Saturday morning. I checked Google Maps and found that it would take 50 minutes to walk. I left the hotel at 08:00. I didn't want to be late.
On the way, I passed a market, wide busy streets, the African park, the Unity Park, and the Prime Minister's office. I walked as suggested by Google Maps. I see a local market and footpath book stores. There were many books stores and Obama's book - the promised land - seemed to be the best selling. The book reading is perhaps the symbol of the modern Ethiopian Renaissance after the 80s famine.
I reached way ahead of the schedule. I scaled the distance in 30 minutes. I waited for half an hour - watching the people pass by, watching the people pray in a church.
Finally, the clock hit nine, the gate opened and I checked in. I walked slowly, adjusted my mask, washed my hand (COVID measure), and entered. To my surprise, I did not see her. I got back to reception and confirmed Lucy's place. I was guided to the same place. I walked again. Oh! finally. To my surprise, she was smaller than I thought. Lucy! Oh! Lucy. I finally met you.
ups! wrong photo, here is the right one.
The description of Lucy says
Lucy - partial skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis
Internationally renowned, Lucy, also called Dinknesh in Ethiopia (You are Wonderful), was discovered in 1974. Lucy stood about 10s cm tall, shorter, and much less heavy than Ardi. Even for her species Australopithecus afarensis, Lucy was short and petite This and the shape of her pelvis indicate she was a female She was a young adult when she died her wisdom teeth were in place but not worn Lucy Was probably more at ease on the ground than Ardi, as evidenced by her pelvis morphology, Still, she may have been more prone to tree climbing than modern humans. As shown by her long mandible, her face was projecting forward, as in apes and unlike modern humans.
Site: Hadar, Afar Region, eastern Ethiopia Specimen number: AL 288-1 Age: 3.2 Ma
There were many other pre-historic skeletons, paintings, pottery and weapons. Visiting the National Museum of Ethiopia raised more questions about evolution and I am now more curious about excavation and its importance. I don't have all the answers but I know that -
“Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.” – Rainer Maria Rilke



Comments
Post a Comment