Skip to main content

When a Job title becomes an identity

"Hello, my name is Bond, James Bond, and I am a marketing assistant." A 9-to-5 job holder, James Bond would be proudly selling a product. But James chose the right job: to become an assassin.  he is still a government employee, and much of his identity as 007 is as an MI6 agent.

Our surnames are based on profession. My surname is Maharjan, which means a farmer. I no more do farming; nonetheless, the surname remains deeply embedded in social identity. My surname says what my parents and ancestors used to do for a living. Many government quota systems are still based on surnames. For me, I have a profession, and I have my Business cards, LinkedIn profiles, office door nameplate, email signatures, and my elevator pitch; all reinforce my profession as the centre of my identity. Have I blurred the line between my profession and personality?

I have been a job holder for more than 25 years now. A job title is useful for me. It tells people what I do. It is comforting. It provides purpose, status, and belonging. My office space is a community with shared values and organisational objectives. Carrying an official title, or being part of the organisation, creates a sense of pride. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with that. In fact, dedication to one's profession is admirable. But slowly I started to realise the professional identity overshadowing me as an individual. Understandably, I spend most of the day in the office and am around office colleagues. We talk about work, office, projects, missions, yearly plan, KPT, etc throughout the day. The danger lies in becoming too attached. The office hierarchy indicates intelligence. A professional career absorbs personality. Every professional setback becomes too personal. And promotion feels like a validation of your worth. Criticism of work becomes criticism of character. Job loss becomes not only an economic problem but an identity crisis.

This is why I have seen many retirees struggle even when they are financially secure. They do not merely miss the salary; they miss the answer to the question, "Who am I now?" For decades, they introduced themselves through a title. Once the title disappears, the purpose disappears. I have seen police officers struggle to adjust to civilian life. The recognition vanishes, and they mingle with their old retired buddies with similar crises.

The irony is that jobs are temporary. Organisations restructure. Funding crunches force staff cuts. If my identity depends entirely on job title, I will be no one without that job. I do not argue against the need for job commitments and meaningful work. I am privileged to have this job, and it has given me a sense of identity. But if I lose it, will I be faceless?

I am more than my profession. I have multiple identities. I am a father, a son, a husband, and a brother. I have social identities: a neighbour, a taxpayer, a voter, a Newar and many more. My hobbies have also given me some identities; I am a runner, reader and cyclist. Perhaps the most enduring identities are based on values rather than titles. Professionally, I remain honest, compassionate, dependable, hardworking, and curious in every career. These qualities travel with me from one job to another.  They are all my portable identities.

Ancient philosophers understood this long before corporate culture existed. The Stoics argued that external circumstances like wealth, status, and reputation are never fully under our control. What remains ours is character. Marcus Aurelius, despite ruling the Roman Empire, repeatedly reminded himself that emperor was merely a role. His true responsibility was to cultivate wisdom, justice, courage, and temperance; the four virtues of Stoicism. The role may end, but the virtues remain.

My career path has never been linear. I have changed organisations, countries, and roles multiple times. During the course, my job title-related introductions have changed. But my identities that are not associated with my job remained the same. I am determined to expand my identities that are less job-dependent. 

"Hello, I am Bond, James Bond. I travel – A sort of licensed troubleshooter.”

Comments

  1. Hello, Mr. James Bond. May I get you a Vodka Martini? It looks like you're in desperate need of one. Hopefully, after a few drinks everything will come back to you - after all no one finds themselves quite like 007.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

The Flood, Nuwakot, and the Black Swan

I visited Nuwakot just after the flood. The flood site is not an easy place to visit. The mud and debris have completely covered the town. The Bidur town that once stood along the riverbank, with its houses, shops, roads, and familiar settlements, had been devastated by the flood. The settlement had simply disappeared. The Trisuli was still flowing, but it had changed its course. The riverbed has, according to locals, been elevated about 15 to 20 meters from its original position. The number of human fatalities and missing people is unbelievable. The number continues to rise. Locals say it could be around tens of thousands. Perhaps the exact number of people will never be confirmed, as in some villages, all families and neighbours perished in the flash flood. Almost everyone we met had a story. Someone had lost a relative. Someone was still waiting for news. Someone had survived by luck, instinct or an escape within a few seconds. The locals would begin telling us what happened, and su...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...