Skip to main content

The Weekend Expedition

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." — Saint Augustine
"One must travel to learn." — Mark Twain
"To travel is to live." — Hans Christian Andersen

Travel quotes are beautiful. They make me want to quit my job, buy a backpack, and disappear into the mountains with nothing but a notebook and an unreasonable amount of optimism. Then I remember I have bills.

I also admire the people who wrote these famous travel quotes. They all lived before commercial airlines, budget airlines, baggage fees, airport security, visa applications, and the invention of the middle seat. Back then, travel was a genuine adventure. You packed your belongings, mounted a horse, boarded a ship, or simply started walking. If you returned, you wrote a book. If you didn't, someone else wrote your biography.

There was no climate guilt attached to every journey. Nobody calculated the carbon footprint of a camel. There were no traffic jams stretching for five kilometres because someone stopped to photograph a waterfall. Nobody interrupted a sunset to say, "Wait, let me take a photo." They must have enjoyed the real nature. They must have felt the real sun, rain, food and culture. Most importantly, they were not influencers. They were storytellers. They filled journals, wrote letters, and exaggerated their adventures over dinner. If there were vlogs back then, they would have monetised the views. 

Today, we mostly upload fifteen nearly identical photos with captions like "Lost in paradise", despite being only twenty metres away from the hotel buffet. These days everyone wants to be a traveller. We dream of standing on a white-sand beach, or on top of a mountain, staring thoughtfully into the distance as if we have finally understood the meaning of life. In reality, someone is standing just outside the frame holding the phone and shouting, "No, turn slightly left and smile, chin up."

My own travel ambitions are heroic in theory and remarkably local in practice. I also want to be a traveller, not a tourist. I also want that photograph. I also want to post that inspirational caption, "discover yourself" or "finding inner peace". Sadly, I have bills to pay, I have kids, and they don't have holidays. I have fish to be fed in my aquarium. Most importantly, I have excuses. Oh! I remember another important requirement: I don't have social media accounts. Never mind, I won't be able to post on social media, but I want to 'travel'. 

I derive a solution. I do not need to compare the air ticket prices, no visa hassle and no airport security check. Instead of flying to Iceland or hiking in Patagonia, I sneak away to the hills surrounding Kathmandu whenever I can. Technically, it may not qualify as "travel" according to Instagram standards. Because it is within the city and I return home before dinner.

This weekend, my son and I drove once again to Kalupandey Park. Yes, 'again'. I have now visited often enough that I suspect the trees recognise me. It is a (very) short drive from my home. It has one of the most scenic view of the valley and the Himalayas. 

It was raining. As we drove up, a part of Kathmandu had disappeared behind thick clouds. The famous panoramic view had taken the half day off. Fortunately, the drive uphill was smooth, peaceful, and wonderfully empty. Thanks to the rain, the bike riders did not dare to drench in the rain. We were smart to have a meal at home before driving up, so we did not have to get out of the car. 

The best part wasn't the destination anyway, nor the weather. It was the conversation. Teenagers are fascinating creatures. At home, conversation with a teenage son is an exercise in archaeology. You dig patiently through layers of silence hoping to uncover a complete sentence.

"How was school?"

"Fine."

"What did you learn?"

"Stuff."

"Anything interesting?"

"No."

The entire exchange can be completed in the blink of an eye. Put the same teenager in a moving car and something extraordinary happens. Perhaps it is because of nature or the 'travel'. Perhaps the rhythm of the road loosens thoughts that remain firmly locked at home. Whatever the reason, the words begin arriving.

We talked about history, books, politics, artificial intelligence, university, careers, and the strange world he will inherit. One question led to another. Sometimes I answered. Quite often, he corrected me with information he had found somewhere online, which is becoming an increasingly common feature of fatherhood.

The fog outside became almost irrelevant. We hardly cared about the view. It was all hidden. By the time we drove home, I realised that perhaps travel is so much misunderstood by all modern social media creatures. Let me take the opportunity to be an influencer and explain it. 

"Maybe the purpose isn't to travel farther. Maybe it is simply to leave enough of ordinary life behind that conversations have space to breathe. If that requires crossing continents, wonderful. If it only requires driving forty-five minutes to a hill where the view has completely disappeared into clouds, that seems a remarkably good bargain." 

Besides, the fog gives me an excellent excuse to visit Kalupandey Park again. At this rate, the trees and I will soon be on first-name terms.

PS: I take the privilege to post a picture (not mine) with a travel quote. ("Travel Far Enough to meet yourself!" "It was only 11.7 kms. 🤣")





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

The Flood, Nuwakot, and the Black Swan

I visited Nuwakot just after the flood. The flood site is not an easy place to visit. The mud and debris have completely covered the town. The Bidur town that once stood along the riverbank, with its houses, shops, roads, and familiar settlements, had been devastated by the flood. The settlement had simply disappeared. The Trisuli was still flowing, but it had changed its course. The riverbed has, according to locals, been elevated about 15 to 20 meters from its original position. The number of human fatalities and missing people is unbelievable. The number continues to rise. Locals say it could be around tens of thousands. Perhaps the exact number of people will never be confirmed, as in some villages, all families and neighbours perished in the flash flood. Almost everyone we met had a story. Someone had lost a relative. Someone was still waiting for news. Someone had survived by luck, instinct or an escape within a few seconds. The locals would begin telling us what happened, and su...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...