'The first' is overhyped. The first of its kind, the first to be on ....... The first to climb to .... The first person to drive................ The first to reach.... etc etc. And here is 'the first' week after my return. I can't help myself to further hype 'the first'. I am readjusting myself to this dry air, windy evening, and cool morning. The coffee once again starts to start the daily routine.
The morning is beautiful today. It is sunny for a while and gets cloudy by 2 o'clock Ethiopia time (which is 8 o'clock). Cloudy means we put on our jackets. It is seriously cold. Getting out in a street and having a bit of a walk early morning is refreshing. More greenery is around because of the rain. Being from a monsoon-hit country, I am trying to overcome my belief about rain - rain does not have to create flooding and landslides.
Local cafes began to open and an aroma of roast coffee fills the street. The cafe is decorated with local grass on the floor. (by the way, it is not litter nor mess). Some grasses have a good fragrant. By the coffee is delivered, I always have a few friends joining me. And we talk about the morning, situation, conflict, displacement, access, road situation, planning for a day, and wishing each other a good day.
The Sun starts to move to the south and then to the west, I look back on my day. The usual day is full of priority work, calls, and visits. A load of emails in my inbox takes days to go through, delete and sort out. And once again, I feel I know this place - little by little, day by day. Trying to give my best to bring change- positive change, a bit I can. And finally, before I leave the office, I call my family - see my family and wish them good night. Afterward, there is no internet until I arrive at my office the next day.
In the evening, I see the moon in the clear sky - it is beautiful. Then, a chill beer is not a bad idea - to wish me a good night.



Comments
Post a Comment