Forrest Gump said to a stranger at the bus stop bench “That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town.... For no particular reason, I just kept on going.” As Forrest Gump continued his story but sadly Amir Khan's 'Lal Singh Chhaddi' did no magic. The copy of the movie did not worked.
The point is, I start to run again. And I have reasons to do so. Unlike Forrest and Lal Singh, I wanted to buy waist 34 jeans, but the underneath reason is also to reclaim my health. I ran at Kakani for a year - back in 1998. The uphill and downhill, playing hide and seek with Lamtang Himal and saving leeches from stepping on them. I was at the peak of my physical strength.
Now after more than two decades, I resumed. I was carrying a relatively big belly. Suddenly, things changed Lightning and thunderstorm - like in a Hindi movie - in the background, I tied my shoes and started to run. Now I can run 5-6 km without any difficulties. I think I can push myself a bit but I have to be cautious. I do not aim to be like in my 20s.
I often cycle to my office. I do not claim to be an environmental activist but I feel good - with my ability to pedal to my office and around. I remember the first day I cycled, from Panipokhari to home, about 6 km and I had a mild fever that evening. I was so tired. Now I have enough stamina to be active in the morning. This is a small victory.
My exercise goes along with my new eating habit. I quit sugar and milk tea. I have reduced my rice intake and increased meat and vegetable. I have come to realise that it is possible for me to get back to shape again and it is possible to be able to run at least 5 km again. Maybe, this is a way to slow down ageing if not reverse. I remember one of my friends whom I met after years asked me if I became diabetic. 😂😂
And Saturday is my cheat day. I eat Jerry, Swari and Malpuwa.
Finally, I have to keep doing exercise for many many reasons. And I have to keep myself motivated. Motivations may come in different shapes and sizes; they can be a colleague who is a runner, a friend who thinks I have diabetes, a wish for a pair of jeans with a 34 waist or a wish to continue eating Malpuwa. It does not only have to be Forrest Gump's no reason for a run.
Happy running!, for many reasons.
Comments
Post a Comment