Reva was excited and was waiting for this very day when she would be a bride - (sort of). It was a two-day ceremony, but it took weeks to prepare for this day. Reva along with the other 40 brides attended Ihi puza. It is a symbolic marriage with Subarna Kumar, an avatar of lord Vishnu.
The vibes and the environment were exciting. All the kids were happy to be a bridge to the god. We were also happy to attend the celebration. Reva got offerings from her Ninis and many other visitors.
The celebration and the story behind it, the process and ritual, the participation and the transfer of culture to the next generation - this is what makes us Newar.
At one point, I felt real - and thought of a day when Reva would get married for real. I felt sad. And I saw Reva's smile... and I smiled with her.






Comments
Post a Comment