I have a desire to achieve another milestone. I signed up for the Kantipur Half Marathon. I had never attempted that long run. 21.1 km is a long distance, and I am less excited and more nervous.
On 18 May, I got myself ready. I tied my running shoes and reached Thapathali. The Prime Minister shot into the air to start the run. I ran through the crowd. The runners of 5km and 7 km sprinted ahead of me. I monitored my Garmin to make sure that I wasn't running too fast. I had a long way to run.
By 6 km, I was already tired. I used to run more than this without feeling fatigued. I continued slowly. By the time I crossed 8 km, I saw the real runners returning from the midpoint. Oh, they're like superhumans.
I trudged through the vehicle exhaustions until I finally reached the midpoint. Pausing for a moment, I took a leisurely walk and replenished myself with some much-needed hydration. My journey from Kathmandu to Bhaktapur was difficult and a return trip was going to be more difficult. In moments of fatigue, I drew inspiration from David Goggins' powerful words: "The 40% rule - when the mind signals fatigue, exhaustion, and the desire to quit, it's merely scratching the surface, indicating that only 40% of one's true potential has been tapped into." I questioned where the rest of the 60% were. As I pressed on, the energetic beats of the 'Rage Against the Machine' playlist kept me moving forward. But, I wonder what other runners ate or drank, who surpassed me without difficulty.
The final few km were the most difficult. My legs started hurting. The new running shoes have not broken in. My final steps were heavier than I had ever felt. I also passed a few tired runners. I crossed the finish line and I felt like a winner.
Wow, what a day it was! Unfortunately, the certificates were finished by the time I reached the office - the organisers were less organised. I completed the task in 2 hours and 6 minutes, which is my new personal record. The winner of the marathon completed the race in 1 hour and 7 minutes, double my speed. I'm not too concerned about receiving the certificate, because I have had my achievement recorded.


Comments
Post a Comment