Skip to main content

Enjoying the moment and capturing the moment - Champadevi Hiking

Today’s visit to Champadevi was enjoyable escape from the city. It was different, mainly because of little kids joining us. They have their own pace and strength. As parents, we wanted them to experience the nature but without leg pain the next day. They enjoyed the walk.



Amid the beautiful trail, I was engrossed in capturing every possible moments into my camera, almost forgetting to enjoy the moment. At the mid point, I was sure that the little kids reached their physical limit, so the little ones walked back to a resort for lunch, and we continued with the big kids.

I ran up to the temple - it was a mini trail marathon. Pushing myself a bit to out of breathe situation was a proud moment. It kept me motivated. On the top, fog stopped the view of Kathmandu and Himalayas. Rhododendron were ruthlessly taken out by Kathmandu hikers. The crowd on the route, I was not expecting, seems like the half of Kathmandu population was on the route. I interpreted it as the growing healthy culture of escaping Kathmandu during weekend. It is one of the nearest routes, perfect for the family hike.

The priest at the Champadevi temple was busy worshiping. The gods and goddesses living on the hill tops must have a reason. Whatever the real story is, we have a reason to go there. 


I captured the moments and also enjoyed the moment. It was chill on top of that hill. Cloudy day was on our side, otherwise, uphill would have been more challenging. The trip was another memorable walk/run/hike and family trip.

The photos are shared among family on WhatsApp, as I have not Instagram. Otherwise, I would have trumpet the trip. I think, Instagram is a rabbit hole. Users dive to the endless scrolling and enjoying the virtual world. Its seems enjoyable - otherwise there is no reason to be addicted. I was on Instagram briefly and I regretted almost every time - for wasting time on screen. This does not mean that everyone has to have the same opinion. I feel, enjoying the moment physically outweigh the virtual world.


Comments

  1. You're absolutely right, Instagram can definitely be a rabbit hole! The endless scroll of curated feeds and engaging content is designed to be addictive.

    1. Dopamine rush: Liking, commenting, and getting notifications all trigger dopamine release in the brain, creating a positive reinforcement loop that makes you want to keep coming back for more.
    2. Fear of missing out (FOMO): Seeing everyone else's seemingly perfect lives can fuel FOMO, making you feel like you need to be constantly checking in.

    And you're definitely onto something about enjoying the physical world. There's a richness and depth to real-life experiences that just can't be replicated online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...

Do The Hard Things, But...

My daily routine is so set now that it almost seems boring. But I love to turn boring things into interesting things. Firstly, we have always been told, "Do what you love to do." I do not buy this. There is nothing wrong with doing the thing we love to do, but what if we don't love the thing that we have to do, ie, 'the hard things'? I have built a habit of doing the hard things, which I started to love doing, but not always. Yesterday was my scheduled running day, but the morning brought a heavy, relentless downpour. Running in the rain after you are already out on the road is tolerable, but stepping out the front door into a torrent feels counterintuitive and strange. All day at the office, I felt a lingering sense of incompletion. My body missed the familiar, satisfying fatigue that comes from a morning run. I kept promising myself that I would make up for it after work. The moment I arrived home, I changed into my running gear and headed south into the cool ai...