This morning, the news of a landslide sweeping away two buses, and over 60 passengers missing into the river has saddened me but more infuriated me. The Mugling - Narayanghat road section has been the most hazardous road since, I don't know, I have been hearing accidents, landslides and road blockades since my childhood. I no longer believe that the cause of the accident is the geological formation of the hill, nor heavy unpredictable rain. It is an absolute negligence of the state. It is simply unacceptable to have the dangerous road for half a century. No alternate roads are seeked nor solid preventative measures are put in place to save lives.
Firstly, as said in the media, this is not an accident. Shristi Karki wrote an article in the Nepali Times on Sept 2023, Highway accidents are no accident in Nepal. Road Traffic 'accident' claims around 2500 deaths per year. This could have been prevented. Absolutely preventable.
Here, we talked about 18000 deaths during armed conflict. Truth and Reconciliation Commission and many legal provisions are being made. The deaths on the road are in headlines momentarily - then forgotten. No one thinks about who is responsible for this death, and no one is brought to justice. Layers of leaders and bureaucrats are responsible, They must be prosecuted.
One of the reasons is that the people who died in those incidents are ordinary people. Ordinary Nepali who could not afford to fly, who had to travel, despite knowing the risk. They probably might have deferred the travel if they could, but they had to because they are normal Nepali.
As I am writing this, the PM is addressing the House. This is his speech before leaving the premiership. He said he had instructed to respond to those 'accidents'. Further, he is preaching good governance and venting his anger against the opposition. He self-praising his achievement. I see him, I hear him and I feel sorry for all Nepali who are listening to him.
I don't see any chance of a new government prioritising ordinary citizens' concerns. I don't see a chance. It is unfortunate that these failed leaders keep coming back, again and again. I don't like to write about politics but politics affects my daily life, it affects my future and kids' future. So, it is time to question the leaders and make them accountable to stop the political mayhem. This will be an important step towards managing Monsoon disasters. Sad Friday!
Comments
Post a Comment