This past month, I explored walking and running through the streets and trails of Kathmandu and Kritipur. Last Saturday, I ran out to Syuchatar, which is only a few kilometers from Ringroad and surprising history. What most people don’t know is that Syuchatar once had a small airport. Today, the Nepal Electricity Authority occupies the site.
I read an article by CK Lal, about that airport - in connection to Cold War. It was fascinating read, as always, added a bit of information about my surrounding.
For me, Syuchatar was not a frequently visited location. But in the past year, I've visited there multiple times, because of proximity to my home and its view to the valley. Despite being just 2 kilometers west from Kalanki, Ring Road, Syuchatar feels like an escape. It's one of the few 'villages' close to the heart of Kathmandu that still retains a sense of the countryside. Walking through, you can still see domestic cows grazing lazily, and the hills around are still green to some extending. But the buildings are growing rapidly.
The uphill climb to the top of Syuchatar is no easy feat. The steep paths left me breathless, not just from exertion but from the beauty and nature on the way. The air is fresh, free of the usual scent of car exhaust that lingers in the city. Momently, I can feel myself far away on vacation.
Standing atop the hill, I see the Sun and cloud blending into the horizon. In the north, the view of the Himalayas - I can't not clicking on and on.
But Syuchatar, like many parts of Kathmandu, is changing. The hills are slowly becoming crowded with new developments—restaurants, hotels, and small shops cropping up. Many of the restaurants have a very limited menu of boiled eggs and instant noodles. Yet, there's another perspective to consider. For many, moving to Kathmandu could be the only option for their work and education and small businesses are their means of livelihood.
Despite these changes, Syuchatar still holds a reason to visit. I'm planning another trip soon, perhaps in the evening, to see the lights of Kathmandu twinkling below. I will definitely visit the local eatery.
And that morning, I had to get back home. My daughter had dance school, and I was running late. So, with one last glance at the distant mountains and Kathmandu city, I descend back into the bustle of daily life.




Comments
Post a Comment