Skip to main content

The tour

It has been a month-long gap. I have collected many many stories during my trip to the US and Canada. Travelling is said to be the best form of learning, and I found it to be true. Learning about the people, their daily lives and food and places - oa! It is nice. And sharing those stories is also nice.

Mahatton continues to fascinate me. This city stands farm and bright. It is vibrant and lively. For this trip, I booked Air B&B a little further in Queens. I found Air B&B was easy and comfortable. I kept on finding myself in the middle of the city whenever I had time. I had to, once again, learn to use buses and the metro to go around the mega city. The Grand Center was a puzzle. I continued to struggle to figure out, which route leads to which avenue/street. Since my mobile did not support local sim, I relied on offline maps and screenshots. Finding routes was a joy. Getting around without a specific plan was fun. Tasting food in random restaurants was what I wished.



As the training ended, I got back to my hobby - running. My colleague enrolled me in a 10-mile running course with other runners, who were preparing for the NY marathon in November. I could not find my group and I ended up joining a random group. I was welcomed. It was an amazing run with strangers in Manhattan. Seeing the city on foot showed me different facets.


The central park was truly a centre of attraction. The park was full of runners and cyclists. I dissolved myself in the flock. Later, I had a walk around the city, randomly. I scored the highest steps in a day - 30,000 steps.


The following week was special. I was picked by a friend. We drove to Massachusetts. I spent a week, visiting Boston, Springfield, Greenfield and many other places. Fishing in a park was the central attraction of the trip.




The city infrastructure is fascinating. I admire the planning of the highways, towns and shops. Every single town was well-designed. It made me think, about what went well during the nation-building. I stopped thinking about what went wrong in my country. 

Many things must have gone right to build a nation, contrary to Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson's famous title 'Why nations fail'. Technology has been so easily integrated into daily life to make life easier - the payment system, the transportation, the services and many more. Everything was impressive. There might be 100s of things to improve in the country but there are also thousands of things to appreciate.

Later, that week was Tihar. I attended the Deusi programme in a Bhutanese refugee community. In some ways, I connected with them due to my previous service in IOM . When the first flight of Bhutanese refugees left Nepal, we celebrated. It was a milestone. Later, 70 thousand refugees were resettled in the US. After 16 years, it was satisfying to see their life in the US and their good words for  Nepal.

From the US, we drove to Canada. It was another lovely journey to remember - the lakes, roads, parks and coffees in between. I have my brother and his family in Oshawa. Meeting them after a long time was another happy moment.

I was told that fall was not the best season to visit the country, but for me, visiting the family was more important. I saw my nephew growing faster than ever. I used every moment to tell him stories from Nepal and hear from him. We went to a Niagara fall together and captured photos and videos to show to my family back home. He is a lovely boy. I hope he would soon visit Nepal for some time and I shall connect him to his roots.

Now I am back home. These memories will be cherished forever. This is not the only story I have collected. Every sentence in this blog has a separate story. I shall have more stories on this in the coming days. I am lucky in many ways - to have friends around the world to show me around. I have a brother to share those stories.

More stories to follow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Weekend Expedition

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." — Saint Augustine "One must travel to learn." — Mark Twain "To travel is to live." — Hans Christian Andersen Travel quotes are beautiful. They make me want to quit my job, buy a backpack, and disappear into the mountains with nothing but a notebook and an unreasonable amount of optimism. Then I remember I have bills. I also admire the people who wrote these famous travel quotes. They all lived before commercial airlines, budget airlines, baggage fees, airport security, visa applications, and the invention of the middle seat. Back then, travel was a genuine adventure. You packed your belongings, mounted a horse, boarded a ship, or simply started walking. If you returned, you wrote a book. If you didn't, someone else wrote your biography. There was no climate guilt attached to every journey. Nobody calculated the carbon footprint of a camel. There were no traffic jams stretching for fi...

My Morning, Their Midnight

Time is relative. I am not bragging about Einstein's Theory of Relativity. This is about several time zones within Kathmandu city. Five o’clock is not universally “early morning.” This morning, it was a usual morning for me. But the empty roads suggested that for many others, it was still midnight. Near the temples, devotees were already walking back from their prayers. Their day had clearly begun long before mine. I imagine they must be thinking, "Ah, the late risers are out." And the vegetable vendors? For them, 5 a.m. is practically late morning. Shops open, scales ready, transactions underway. Their workday was already in full swing while it was still dark. Then comes Thamel, lights still glowing, people spilling out of pubs, laughing, smoking. For them, the night was young. It appears Nepal’s little Las Vegas, blinking through a hangover. “Early” and “late” are not absolute words. They are relative to what we make with our own lifestyles. Time is less a clock and mor...

The Pursuit of 3:59

I registered for my next marathon. The 18th Kathmandu Marathon is scheduled for Saturday, 10 October 2026, just one day before Ghatasthapana. The following morning, Dashain will begin. Families will gather, kites will appear in the sky, Dashain dhuun and smells of the festival. And for me, if all goes according to plan, it will also mark the end of a three-month break from alcohol. What a day to resume a glass of whiskey. I am giving myself three months to prepare properly. No shortcuts. No excuses. Clean eating. Consistent running. Adequate rest. I am breaking my last year's marathon record of 4 hours and 28 minutes. This year, the target is clear: sub-four hours. The difference between 4:28 and 3:59 is not only twenty-nine minutes, but it is also going to be what I do in these three months. My run, my food, my sleep and many more, all my small decisions will definitely make a difference. In many ways, the marathon itself is the easy part. The race lasts a few hours. The preparati...

When a Job title becomes an identity

"Hello, my name is Bond, James Bond, and I am a marketing assistant." A 9-to-5 job holder, James Bond would be proudly selling a product. But James chose the right job: to become an assassin.  he is still a government employee, and much of his identity as 007 is as an MI6 agent. Our surnames are based on profession. My surname is Maharjan, which means a farmer. I no more do farming; nonetheless, the surname remains deeply embedded in social identity. My surname says what my parents and ancestors used to do for a living. Many government quota systems are still based on surnames. For me, I have a profession, and I have my Business cards, LinkedIn profiles, office door nameplate, email signatures, and my elevator pitch; all reinforce my profession as the centre of my identity. Have I blurred the line between my profession and personality? I have been a job holder for more than 25 years now. A job title is useful for me. It tells people what I do. It is comforting. It provides pu...

The book Thief

I finished The Book Thief this week. The first thing that stands out about the novel is its narrator. The story is told from the perspective of Death. Rather than appearing as a terrifying force, Death becomes an observer, a collector of souls, and ultimately a storyteller. Out of the millions of lives that pass before him, he keeps returning to one ordinary yet remarkable girl: Liesel Meminger. Liesel is a foster child growing up on Himmel Street, a modest working-class street in Nazi Germany during the Second World War. Through Death's narration, we witness her life, her struggles, her friendships, and the quiet moments that unfold beneath the shadow of a devastating conflict. What impressed me most was the simplicity with which the story is told. There are no grand military campaigns or dramatic political speeches. Instead, we see football games in the street, the loyalty of her friend Rudy, the kindness of the Hubermann family, and the small routines of everyday life. Most war ...