It is a cold morning in Kathmandu. I, unwillingly, get out of a warm bed. It is still dark outside, and I get ready for a run. I turn on a hand torch so passing speeding vehicles on the empty roads can see. I pay special attention to stray dogs, although almost all generally ignore me, but some don't.
Today, I scroll back to my older blog where I had written that Forrest Gump who said “That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town.... For no particular reason, I just kept on going.” Now, it has been nearly two years since I started to run, for no particular reason. I was not chased by a dog, nor, was someone chasing me with pizza. I kept running - for no particular reason but now I have one thousand reasons.
The snowball effect of running is amazing. The willingness to hit personal records keeps me going. Firstly, non-stop 5 km was my ambition. Soon, it became 10 and 15 and so on. I started to lose weight, and my belly is now record-low in the last 15 years. The feeling of fitness is something unexplainable. Running has become a part of a routine now. I manage time to run, about three runs per week.
My food habits have changed significantly. I started less liking sweet food. Strangely, I avoided Jeri & Swari on the weekends. I can easily say no to delicious foods in social gatherings. I think, I have become selective about what I eat; more water, more veggies and less grains, less rice and less of everything. These changes are, in fact, not deliberate, they just happened. These are some of the reasons to continue running.
I participated in some of the (half) marathons, trail running and cycling rallies. I met some of the nicest people. I realised that the majority were there not for completion. They were there to participate. I’ve learned to be a companion. I see kids, old people and young people running for fun not to win a trophy. Marathons are amazing. I am so much looking forward for the another one.
One hard part is that running is not cheap for me. It appears that having certain running gears upgrades the joy. I bought a running watch, a nice set of earbuds, a few pairs of running shoes, t-shirts and jackets. They are not 'must-have' items, but gradually, they appear on the wish list. Having said that those items are not sufficient conditions. What is important is to cherish these little accomplishments. Sometimes, I have to be cruel to myself. When I feel lazy, I push myself to the furthest point, and then, I am forced to run back home.
Running has also taught me many valuable life lessons:
No matter how slow I run, I have to keep running. It is important to keep going.
I run to compete with no one. There is always someone who runs faster than me and there will always be some who can't run like me.
I can make running joyful, with Spotify or bribe myself with new earbuds and a new pair of shoes. New routes and places give freshness.
The human body is made for running. Thousands of years of human evolution designed the body to be active and run. The rest of the health systems will automatically fall in the right place as we run. All pain will start to vanish.
We become what we eat. To my surprise, food habits change with running.
I can always manage one hour for running or exercise.
Nothing is more important than my health. A healthier body is a symbol of good habits.
Waking up early brings extra hours in a day.
Running has helped me become a good father, I am not sure if it makes me a good husband :). When I am out running, she has to prepare kids for the school. Credit also goes to my lovely wife for extra chores.
This morning, once again, I ran about 14 km, slow but steady. The morning was cold and empty. I wish there were less pollution. And I know that this is a regular part of the whole process of keeping myself ALIVE. Happy Running!


The body was indeed made for running. Love the blog, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete