This past Saturday, I achieved another milestone in my running. I’m incredibly proud to complete a half marathon in under two hours. Not only was it my fastest half marathon, but I also broke my personal bests for 5K and 10K distances along the way and I’m thrilled to call it an achievement.
The event, titled “Run for Protein,” was a lively gathering of thousands of runners across eight different race categories. I didn’t know much about the organizers, I joined purely for the joy of running. In fact, I barely knew anyone at the event, but that didn’t matter. What I truly loved was meeting other running enthusiasts—each one had their own drive to be there.The atmosphere at the stadium was electric, filled with runners spanning every age group, from energetic kids to seasoned athletes (and yes, older participants like me). At 6 in the morning, there were Zumba warm-up sessions, police music bands and cultural dances. The crowds and the noise heated the environment in the cold morning. My target to complete the half marathon within two hours.
Once we were off, I took a more measured approach to my pace than I had in previous races. Unlike my experience at the Kantipur Marathon, where I pushed too hard too soon, this time I was determined to enjoy the journey. The route took us all the way to Bhaktapur and back, offering plenty of sights and moments to soak in along the way.
As I ran, I couldn’t help but observe the diversity of runners around me:
- Elite Runners: Effortless strides, equipped with all the top-tier gear—Garmin watches, Hoka shoes, and a laser-focused attitude.
- Fake Elites: Decked out in professional gear but struggling to keep pace.
- Motivated Runners: Everyday people, who were simply there for the love of running, giving it their all.
- Professional Pressured Runners: Police and army personnel who under orders to secure a trophy.
- School Runners: Young students brimming with pride as they completed their 3K or 5K races. To me, they were the real stars of the day.
- Love Runners: Teenagers who had zero motivation to run but joined because their girlfriends were attending.
- Hungry Runners: The motive to run was the food pack after the run.

Comments
Post a Comment