As I was running along the long sea beach this morning, I remembered my Geography teacher from school. We were generally good at Geography. We understood the Earth’s rotation and revolution, the Tropic of Cancer, the seasons, all the respectable parts of the subject. But one chapter haunted the entire class: tides.
Our teacher tried his best. He spoke about ships waiting patiently on the shore for high tide, about the water level rising and falling twice a day, and the special high tides twice a month because of the Moon. It was fiction to us. The classroom collectively surrendered. Back then, there were no YouTube tutorials nor ChatGPT to explain it better, so the chapter quietly passed without much discussion. We memorised it word for word, line by line, and never questioned it again.
Today I stand in Cox's Bazar, and tides are no longer a textbook chapter. I saw that the water level was higher this morning. The running route that I took a few days ago was under waves today. I was enjoying the run, and I ran about nine kilometres on smooth sand beach. There was no one around, except the waves, the empty beach and sand. Boats were already heading toward the horizon. The beauty of the sea was overwhelming, yet no one seemed to notice. Perhaps the locals have already had enough conversations with it. I, on the other hand, am new here. As the saying goes, नयाँ जोगीले धेरै खरानी घस्छ or I am eager to have a conversation with the sea.So I run, and I watched the tide. I thought that the topic 'tides' needs no explanation to the student in Cox's. The sea itself explains to them. As I see the sea rises. The sea retreats; it reminds me of a story of The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. The sea is not scenery but a companion, sometimes kind, sometimes indifferent, always larger than human pride. The vastness of the Sea tells us that it has many things to share, but it is not in a rush. Listen to the sea with patience, and it explains everything.

Comments
Post a Comment