Skip to main content

A Father Writes to Prepare, Not to Impress (The 38 Letters)

I recently finished reading The 38 Letters from J.D. Rockefeller to His Son.




It is not a long book. It does not offer radically new ideas. It speaks of hard work, decisive action, and the importance of purpose. But there is something distinct about it. This is not a man writing to the world. This is a father writing to his son, one who happens to be among the wealthiest individuals in human history.

As I read, I began to see glimpses of Rockefeller’s life, his decisions, his focus, and his relentless pursuit of success. Through these letters, he is not merely advising his son; he is explaining the principles that shaped his own life. He touches on almost everything: opportunity, hard work, education, persistence, business, teamwork, motivation, wealth, and risk. These are not abstract reflections. They are lived experiences, distilled into guidance.

Because these letters were never meant for a public audience, they feel unusually honest—at times, even uncomfortable. They are not written to impress. They are written to prepare. And preparation, especially for life, demands a certain level of brutal honesty.

As I revisited my highlights, a clear pattern emerged. There is a relentless emphasis on action: A good idea is worthless without execution. Knowledge without action is empty talk. Life is a battle—act, act again, and keep acting.

This is not motivational language. It is instructional. At one point, he writes: “If you love your work, life is heaven; if you treat it as a duty, life is hell.” Simple. Direct. Difficult to argue with. What struck me most, however, was not just the content, but the tone. There is no illusion here. No promise that life will be fair, easy, or even just. He writes that opportunity is scarce. That life is a continuous struggle. That success requires persistence beyond comfort.

At times, he sounds almost ruthless:

“I do not meet competition; I destroy competitors.” And elsewhere, his pragmatism is even sharper—advising caution in trust, restraint in emotion, and calculated thinking before action. These are not comforting ideas. But they may be closer to reality than we often admit. There are also moments where the tone shifts inward. He warns against what he calls “spiritual bankruptcy,” suggesting that internal failure is more dangerous than financial loss. He accepts failure—but only if it does not become a habit.

Even his views on greed are provocative. He does not reject it outright. Instead, he reframes success as a force that, if pursued with discipline and structure, can contribute to society more than poverty ever could. These ideas may not sit easily with everyone.

But again, they are not meant to. Amidst all the focus on wealth, competition, and success, one idea stands out for its simplicity: “Your relationship with yourself is the beginning of all relationships.” It is a quiet reminder that everything external begins internally. How you see yourself shapes how you act.
How you act shapes how the world responds to you. This is what makes the book compelling.

It is not just a collection of advice. It is a framework for thinking and acting. When we write for the world, we tend to soften our words. We explain, adjust, and make them more acceptable. But when a father writes to his son, the responsibility is different. The goal is not to be liked. The goal is to prepare.

If these letters were written for a wider audience, they would likely sound very different. Less direct. Less sharp. More agreeable. But also, perhaps, less useful.

But this book is what it is. I have some reservations about some of the advice, but at the time of writing, the context, perhaps, was completely different. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and felt like I learnt a bit of Entrepreneurship. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...

Do The Hard Things, But...

My daily routine is so set now that it almost seems boring. But I love to turn boring things into interesting things. Firstly, we have always been told, "Do what you love to do." I do not buy this. There is nothing wrong with doing the thing we love to do, but what if we don't love the thing that we have to do, ie, 'the hard things'? I have built a habit of doing the hard things, which I started to love doing, but not always. Yesterday was my scheduled running day, but the morning brought a heavy, relentless downpour. Running in the rain after you are already out on the road is tolerable, but stepping out the front door into a torrent feels counterintuitive and strange. All day at the office, I felt a lingering sense of incompletion. My body missed the familiar, satisfying fatigue that comes from a morning run. I kept promising myself that I would make up for it after work. The moment I arrived home, I changed into my running gear and headed south into the cool ai...