This weekend, the water pump at home stopped working. I spent a few hours figuring out the issue, only to discover that the automatic floater had failed. I replaced it. While fixing it, a thought quietly surfaced: Everything needs maintenance; machines, household equipment, the human body, and relationships. Nothing lasts without care. I smiled at the simplicity of it. Then another thought followed: Things do not always work the way we expect them to. And we twist and turn. I was, in part, thinking of the city water supply that had run dry on its scheduled day. And I pumped well water.
The work of repair is not occasional; it is constant. Things appear perfect at first, then slowly begin to show signs of wear. This is not a flaw, but it is a design. Care is not the same as reacting to every small symptom. There is a balance between “one more day” and immediate intervention. Some things can wait. Others demand attention. Knowing that moment, that right moment, is a quiet skill.
Then I thought about the human body and mind.
It, too, endures wear and tear. Activity, fatigue, and illness leave their marks. The body repairs much on its own, but sometimes it asks for more deliberate care. Rest, movement, discipline. These are not optional; they are part of maintenance. There is no final version of a “fixed” body.
And then, relationships. Perhaps the most delicate form of repair. Their decay is rarely visible at first. A structure weakens gradually. A bond loosens not through a single failure, but through many small omissions; a word not spoken, a concern dismissed, attention withheld. Individually, these seem insignificant. Together, they alter the direction of a relationship. By the time the damage is visible, much may already be lost. Repair here is not technical; it is human. It takes time. Listening helps. Letting go of the need to win helps even more. These are not grand gestures, but they are quiet corrections, made early. Even then, nothing remains fixed forever. Tensions return. Misunderstandings reappear. And if one looks closely, this ongoing attention is not a weakness of relationships, but a part of the process. It is the strength.
The house follows the same rhythm. Curtains fade. Kitchen utensils wear out. Soap runs out. A flush stops working. We replace, refill, and adjust. Not because the work is finished, but because it never is. There is a brief satisfaction in fixing something, but it is only a pause, not a conclusion. At some point, a question arises: Is there an end to this repetition? Why engage in work that cannot be completed?
But a life without the need for repair would not be a better life. It would be an empty one. If nothing required attention, nothing would deserve care. If nothing could weaken, nothing could be strengthened. If nothing could be lost, nothing could be valued.
I no longer look for a life where nothing breaks. I prepare for the opposite. I keep my tools ready, not just in my hands, but in my mind. I restore what has worn down. I strengthen what has weakened. Then, I repeat, again and again. This is not lesser work. This is the work. I have come to accept that there will always be fractures and disruptions. And the work of repair, quiet, repetitive, and without end, is not separate from life. It is the very way life is sustained.
Comments
Post a Comment