Skip to main content

My Running and Life Philosophy

The late-life running habit has taught me some of the greatest lessons of my life. I live a part of 'words of wisdom'.

Most mornings, before Kathmandu fully wakes, I step out to run. I don’t negotiate much with myself to get out of bed. I just go out. I do not agree with my excuses of being tired, the weather being bad, or having pain in my knees. As David Goggins says, "Life isn’t always about doing the things we like to do. It’s about doing things we have to do."

The first few kilometres are the hardest. Then it gets easier to the point that I start to enjoy it. The human body is way more adaptive than we believe. As I start to crush through the tightness of my legs and heavier chest, soon everything loosens up. 

A very old and very simple idea sits at the centre of my running. The Stoics said it best, "Some things are within our control, and some are not." I can not control the weather, rain, cold, hot and many more, but I have definite control over my will to run.

There will always be a lots and lots of people who run faster and better than me. This should never prevent me from doing my part. They are an inspiration, and I do my part. I continue. I don’t run because I am a natural athlete. I run because it allows me to unleash myself.

I understand that persistence can bring me further. Small steps, repeated, cover any distance. The person who runs ten kilometres did not run ten kilometres. They ran one kilometre ten times. Running has started to rewire how I approach everything else. Work deadlines. Family tensions. Financial uncertainty. Creative blocks. All of them become more manageable when I stop looking at the whole mountain and just take the next step in front of me.

On those days, I learned about pain. I see pleasure comes along with the pain. Running is painful. But the award of that pain is so valuable that I embrace that pain with pleasure. They appear to be the two faces of the same coin. 

After the run, when my body is tired and my mind is unusually clear, I read. There is a specific quality to the post-run mind. It is not empty, it is uncluttered. As I challenge myself to run longer and better, I have started to challenge myself in reading. I started some classic books that are considered difficult. I have become selective about what I read. And I avoid news, social media and self-help books (in general). Reading better books is not about productivity; it is about perspective. And perspective, I have learned, is the most practical thing I can own.

I learned to take a pause and think. These days, we are being constantly pushed for 'more' – more output, more progress, more noise, more optimisation, more equipment and more. I have learned that the relentless pursuit of “more” is a trap. It never ends. There is always one more task, one more improvement, one more thing to worry about. The finish line keeps moving. The pause, deliberately and enjoy coffee. The coffee is not just coffee. It is to say to myself, "slow down" and select what I need (not want).

Running has now become a habit. Habit requires no motivation. It is a part of me now. No desire to win, and I don't aim to be better than someone else. I just run, run alone and enjoy. No single session changes anything. No single run makes me resilient. It is now a work of more than two years of regular running. I have built my body to endure to become an ultra runner, step by step, day by day. 

I have become a little more resilient, a little more patient and a little tougher. I run because it allows me to practice how I want to grow. It has helped me to persist when stopping is easier. It has made me move through discomfort and 'just do it' when I don’t feel like it. Not perfect. Not heroic. Not impressive by any external metric, but just do it, because it is the right thing to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...

Do The Hard Things, But...

My daily routine is so set now that it almost seems boring. But I love to turn boring things into interesting things. Firstly, we have always been told, "Do what you love to do." I do not buy this. There is nothing wrong with doing the thing we love to do, but what if we don't love the thing that we have to do, ie, 'the hard things'? I have built a habit of doing the hard things, which I started to love doing, but not always. Yesterday was my scheduled running day, but the morning brought a heavy, relentless downpour. Running in the rain after you are already out on the road is tolerable, but stepping out the front door into a torrent feels counterintuitive and strange. All day at the office, I felt a lingering sense of incompletion. My body missed the familiar, satisfying fatigue that comes from a morning run. I kept promising myself that I would make up for it after work. The moment I arrived home, I changed into my running gear and headed south into the cool ai...