Recently, I came across a word, 'Janteloven', which has been adopted as an unwritten cultural law in Scandinavian society that discourages excessive self-importance. Originated from the book, "Fugitive Crosses His Tracks" by the writer Aksel Sandemose, where the writer introduced the Laws of Jante. I found it interesting.
The rules are stipulated as follows
- You're not to think you are anything special
- You're not to think you are as good as we are
- You're not to think you are smarter than we are
- You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are
- You're not to think you know more than we do
- You're not to think you are more important than we are
- You're not to think you are good at anything
- You're not to laugh at us
- You're not to think anyone cares about you
- You're not to think you can teach us anything
It is said that the principles are largely ingrained in Scandinavian society, from the national policy to social interactions. You are not better than anyone else. My initial thought was somewhat cold and restrictive, but strangely, I felt drawn into it.
I see this in two POVs (point of views, the new Insta word that learnt from my daughter recently)
Firstly, individual point of view. I reflected on myself. Have I become conceited? Do I do the things for external validation? Or do I think that I know more than YOU do?
I am loud, and I replay compliments. Vanity, if I am honest, has quietly followed me hitherto. And Janteloven whispered to me," You are not exceptional, you are not the centre, and you are not more important than any others."
Secondly, the social point of view. Is my society better than yours? Is my family more unique than yours? These are deeper questions, for which I do not have answers at this stage. I am more thoughtful of my first individual point of view.
The concept of Janteloven is going to stay with me; I may not agree fully, but this is a very interesting Concept. Acknowledging that I am not special is special in itself. 😂 And Janteloven also imphasise on the fact that we, collectively, are better than individuals. Having said that, there are tons of criticisms. The debate can go on and on. In any case, I am not special.
Comments
Post a Comment