I completed Nietzsche's 'Will to Power'. I found it difficult to read. I found it difficult to understand. Maybe it was too abstract or too disconnected from real life.
He talks about religion and the church. There are a number of questions on why people follow god? why do people avoid struggle. Why do we let society define success for us? Can suffering actually make us stronger?
The book is messy, intense, and has no flow. Some context and sentences make no sense to me. Still, many of the ideas inside are some of the most influential concepts in modern philosophy and psychology. The book made me think, how readers understand the book.
At the centre of the book is one idea: Human beings are driven by a “will to power.”. That phrase sounds aggressive at first. It sounds like domination or control. But Nietzsche meant something deeper than political power. He believed people are driven by the urge to expand themselves. To grow and to have control over others. The idea of power goes beyond survival theory. The idea of 'the selfish gene' sounds incomplete. The objective of human behaviour is not only to survive but to gain power.
Humans do the adventures: sky diving and scaling Mt. Everest. The acts are for the power. Every human action is a step towards power. This goes beyond 'will to survive' and 'will to Knowledge'. Nietzsche’s version is broader. A writer continuing after rejection is expressing will to power.
The point may be not controlling others. The point is becoming stronger than your previous self. Why The Book Still Matters Today. Modern life is comfortable in many ways, but also strangely empty. People are overwhelmed, distracted, anxious, and constantly comparing themselves online. Many chase approval without knowing what they actually want. Nietzsche predicted something similar more than a century ago. He believed society was heading toward nihilism, a state where old beliefs collapse and people lose a sense of meaning.
The book forces readers to ask:
“If nobody hands me meaning, what will I build for myself?”
The Will to Power is not a simple self-help book. It is difficult, fragmented, and extreme at times. I think. I have difficulty understanding this time, and I shall read it again, because I also have 'will to power'.
Comments
Post a Comment