Skip to main content

Monsoon Runs

I cannot remember the exact day I started running. It was sometime around July 2023. I only remember that it began with a few kilometres. I did not have proper shoes or gear.

Looking back, those first few kilometres changed my life in ways I never imagined.

Three years later, I can confidently say that running has become one of the best habits I have ever built.

Like most runners, I did not begin with ambitious dreams of marathons or ultramarathons. I simply wanted to run a little farther than yesterday. A few kilometres gradually became five. Five became ten. Every run quietly pushed the boundary a little further. By the end of 2023, I had made a plan that by the end of 2024, I would run 15 kilometres without stopping.

To my surprise, I achieved that goal in February. I was almost ten months ahead of my own plan. It was a gentle lesson that we often underestimate what consistent effort can accomplish. Progress is rarely dramatic. It happens one ordinary run at a time until, one day, the impossible becomes routine.

Throughout 2024, I completed several half marathons, both organised races and solo runs. Somewhere along the way, I discovered that I genuinely enjoyed long-distance running. I particularly loved running alone on trails, where the only conversation was between my breathing, my footsteps, and my thoughts.

Then came 2025. That year I completed my first full marathon. Crossing the finish line was satisfying, but what stayed with me was not the medal. It was the realisation that my body was capable of far more than I had ever believed. Every early morning, every tiring training session, every day when I wanted to stay in bed had quietly accumulated into that single moment.

This year, 2026, brought another milestone. I became an ultrarunner. That title still feels slightly unreal. If someone had told the 2023 version of me that I would one day complete an ultramarathon, I would probably have laughed. Yet here I am.

Sometimes friends ask me, "What went wrong, why running?" I always smile. Nothing went wrong. Or perhaps everything did. There wasn't one dramatic reason that made me a runner. It was never a single life-changing event. Instead, countless small things aligned, the desire to stay healthy, the need to clear my mind, curiosity, discipline, and perhaps a little stubbornness. Together, they quietly transformed me into someone who genuinely looks forward to running.

Running has given me far more than fitness. It has taught me patience. It has taught me discipline. It has taught me that motivation is overrated. Motivation gets you out of the door once. Habit brings you back hundreds of times. People often ask what motivates me to run. The honest answer is that I am not always motivated. Some mornings I don't feel like running. Some evenings I am tired after work. Some days the weather is terrible. I run anyway.

And now, it is the middle of the monsoon. The rain falls relentlessly, day after day. The air is heavy with humidity. Shoes become soaked within minutes. I could easily tell myself that today is not a good day to run. But the rain is not an obstacle. It is simply another running condition.

There is something strangely peaceful about running through Kathmandu in the rain. Water drips from my forehead onto my face. My clothes cling to my body. The streets are quieter than usual. The city seems to slow down while I keep moving. During the monsoon, I avoid trails and dirt roads. They become slippery and unpredictable. Instead, I stay on asphalt roads, where every puddle reminds me to pay attention.

The rivers of Kathmandu roar with renewed strength, almost as if they are reclaiming the land that once belonged to them. Roads along the riverbanks disappear beneath muddy water, especially under bridges where flooding is almost expected. This year, however, there has been one noticeable difference. With the eviction of settlements from the riverbanks, we have heard fewer stories of homes submerged by floodwaters and fewer tragic casualties. The rivers still remind us of their power, but perhaps we are learning to respect them a little more.

Meanwhile, my running continues. This week alone, I covered around 50 kilometres. Looking back at my training log, I noticed that from January to the middle of July I have already run more than 1,200 kilometres. That number means more to me. It represents mornings when I chose discipline over comfort. Running has never been about beating other people. It is about becoming slightly better than the person I was yesterday.

I cannot control the weather. I cannot stop the rain. I cannot make Kathmandu's roads less flooded or the humidity disappear. But I can control my pace. I can control whether I lace up my shoes. I can control whether I take the first step. And as long as I can do that, I will keep running.

Rain or shine.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000 Miles And Counting

I have completed 1,000 miles this year. I am not a big fan of the old metric system of miles. I prefer kilometres. But 1,000 miles sounds much cooler than 1,609 kilometres. So, I am going with miles. I did it. And yes, it feels like another proud moment. I did some math. It is only a little more than '6 kilometres a day'. Six kilometres! That sounds minimal when you look at it that way. Still, somehow, it feels good to think about the whole distance. The compound effect is amazing. I run on alternate days, so it is about 12 kilometres per run on average. Some days are different. On Friday, I ran 20 kilometres. I had no plan for a long run, but as I started running, the distance slowly added up to 20. And then I went to the office afterward. It was a happy Friday. I have been thinking about what this 1,000 miles really means to me. Perhaps it is simply an example of 'showing up, no matter what'. Six kilometres on an average day. Sometimes 20, sometimes less than 10. Some...

Spicing Up My Run

After a few years of running, I have made my run not only about the distance, the pace, or the time on the Garmin. I weave stories out of it. I like to create little stories from my runs. Some come from my daughter. Some come from the streets of Kathmandu. Some come from my memories. Some are simply things I notice along the way. These little stories make my run interesting. They give meaning to the kilometres. They make the journey lighter. Take today's run. As we all know, the distance is never fixed. But when Garmin showed '13.99' km, I stopped it. Why? Because my daughter wanted my run to end at .99. I had actually run another 700 metres before reaching my destination. But I stopped the Garmin at 13.99. I could have recorded 14.69 km or more.  But then I would have spoiled the story. Sometimes, it is these little things that make running fun. A few days ago, I was running along the Bagmati River. I went out and came back along the same route. This happened because of an...

Running with Dostoevsky

I completed  Crime and Punishment -  finally. I’ve recently started reading some of the classics, the books that are often referred to as “must-reads,”. This book is one of the longest books I have ever read. To be honest, I’m not ready to give any profound review of it. I am sharing my experience with reading the book. I started reading the physical copy, but somewhere along the way, I switched to the audiobook so I could listen while running. It took me months to finish. It wasn’t an easy read. I completed nearly half of the book on the physical book and then switched to Spotify. They were completely different experiences. Reading a physical book feels like reading, whereas listening is more like, the narrator has more control over it, but I enjoyed the audiobook version equally.  The characters and their details are so well described. The events almost pop out vividly. The monologues and thoughts, and ruminations of the characters - those make the book wort...

The Flood, Nuwakot, and the Black Swan

I visited Nuwakot just after the flood. The flood site is not an easy place to visit. The mud and debris have completely covered the town. The Bidur town that once stood along the riverbank, with its houses, shops, roads, and familiar settlements, had been devastated by the flood. The settlement had simply disappeared. The Trisuli was still flowing, but it had changed its course. The riverbed has, according to locals, been elevated about 15 to 20 meters from its original position. The number of human fatalities and missing people is unbelievable. The number continues to rise. Locals say it could be around tens of thousands. Perhaps the exact number of people will never be confirmed, as in some villages, all families and neighbours perished in the flash flood. Almost everyone we met had a story. Someone had lost a relative. Someone was still waiting for news. Someone had survived by luck, instinct or an escape within a few seconds. The locals would begin telling us what happened, and su...

My first Marathon - 42.195 kms

On November 1, 2025, I completed my first full marathon. I mean 42.195 kilometres, at the Kathmandu Marathon. It was rewarding and worthwhile. It was pure joy. One big, proud check off my bucket list. I had been preparing for this moment for months. I registered for it a long time ago, as an early bird. My training wasn’t exactly at an “elite athlete” level, but I did what I could: some long runs, some short ones, and some high-pace “show-off” runs. YouTube coaches and Garmin training plans became my virtual trainers. A week before the marathon, I got symptoms of a cold. A runner's biggest fear - my nose ran faster than I did. I googled "how to recover from a cold soon?" and the internet basically said, nothing much, it would take its usual course of about a week. I googled “how soon can you run after a cold?" Answers were not encouraging. But I wasn’t giving up. I took medicine, drank plenty of water. A few pre-runs that week were slow and tiring. I could only hope ...